Friends--

I can say little more than to thoroughly second Mr. Clarke's
observations.  I might also add that I completely pay homage to the
library user who will take the time to point out to me the apparent
oddity of an author whose heading shows an open birthdate of 1825-   .
    First, I really don't have true users (as opposed to other library
staff with too much time on their hands) calling me on the phone to
discuss such issues every other day.  It does occur.   In our shared
environment, such things need to be explained in the context of
thousands of libraries and millions of records, as Mr. Clarke so aptly
points out.
   Second, and I hope that this isn't too obvious, but if someone says,
"Hey, Mr. Fields must be dead by now!"  .... well, yes, so why do we
need to add a date to a heading where it's just obvious to all that the
fellow is in fact dead?

    Please, I don't know about those requesting such a change, but I
don't have the time to be honing these records to the ultimate
perfection that someone out there might wish to see.  We already close
dates for people in the "corporateness" (e.g., presidents, governors,
etc.) after their term in office is complete.  Unless we're considering
a change to a "make work" society, I would prefer to leave things as
they are.

    RCA