Since it appears that the conversation is beginning to come full circle,
I want to reassert my proposal that the LCRI be modified.  The option of
always adding a date if it is readily available when creating a heading
is the culprit which, as far as I can tell, caused the initial problem.
When dates are not needed to make a heading unique, they should not be
added.  If the 1961- had been included in the 670, but left off the
heading for Diana, Princess of Wales and if the 1928- had been recorded
in the 670, but left off the Warhol, Andy heading, we wouldn't have to
feel embarrassed about the way the catalog looks, nor would we have to
explain why the dates are left open.  In both cases, the date was NOT
needed to make the headings unique.

Let's please get to the root of the problem and quit hacking at the
leaves!

Regards,
John B. Wright