Eric,

I am sure there is room for debate, but films are being stored in
ventilated cans these days for a variety of reasons.

You might browse
http://www.stildesign.com/english_site/pages_eg/articles_eg.htm

I think Hollywood Vaults and the National Film Board of Canada are
using this product -- at least for some of the storage.

You might ask over on the AMIA list for this.

Cheers,

Richard

At 09:33 PM 8/2/2005, you wrote:
>What are your preferred sleeves for storing acetate (nitrocellulose) discs?
>
>Here's the debate (per "Preservation and Storage of Sound Recordings",
>Pickett and Lemcoe, 1959):
>
>1.  The deterioration of nitrocellulose is accelerated by moisture
>2.  The deterioration of nitrocellulose is accelerated by lack of air
>circulation

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes