I teach classification before subject headings--regardless of the textbook
order--primarily because I think there's more to learn/it's harder for
students to grasp the intricacies of number classification.  By teaching
them first, I give them more time in the class to work on call # structure
in exercises, since we continue to work on description, headings, then
number classification, & then subject classification as we work thru
exercises throughout the class.  In other words, records just get longer &
more complete as we progress.

This gives them the most practice, of course, on description--which is the
most rule-bound and thus allows less variation based on cataloger
judgment--but I've never figured a way to make sense of starting with number
classification & then subject headings *before* description :-)  Somehow,
that's too much like dropping folks into the middle of unrelated chaos--I
prefer to give them some context first!

Kathleen A. Nystrom, Adjunct Instructor for School of Information Science &
Learning Technologies, University of Missouri--Columbia
Head of Cataloging
Eden-Webster Library System
470 East Lockwood Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63119-3194