I start first with subject analysis and then move into controlled vocabularies and subject heading assignment and construction (LCSH) and then classification.

As for the order of the chapters in the textbook--don't really follow that sequentially. I assign chapters according to how my syllabus is set up.

Shawne D. Miksa, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
School of Library and Information Sciences
University of North Texas
email: [log in to unmask]
http://courses.unt.edu/smiksa/homepage.htm
office 940-565-3560  fax 940-565-3101

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/25/05 12:05 PM >>>

I am really intrigued by this difference in cataloging course
structure. I never realized before that (the previous to 10th ed of)
Wynar was set up to teach classification before subject headings. My
colleague at Illinois does this, too, and I can't quite get my mind
around it. What is the idea behind it?

Does anyone else teach the units of basic cat & class in a
"different"order (i.e., different from those in textbooks like Chan
or Wynar/Taylor)?

Cheryl