The answer is that ISO 639 doesn't really address that, but that a
derivative specification that combines ISO 639 IDs with other
qualifiers, such as the IETF spec RFC 3066 (also designated BCP 47), can
support that.

For instance, there are tags registered under the terms of RFC 3066 to
distinguish between German orthographies before and after the 1996
reform:

de-1904 / de-1996
de-DE-1904 / de-DE-1996
etc.

Peter

Behalf
> Of Rebecca S. Guenther
> Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 5:00 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Response to your message (fwd)
>
> I never answered this person having not received a response from
anyone on
> the ISO 639 JAC. Please let me know if you have an opinion on this.
>
> Rebecca

ISO