Lets have an overview of different proposals and see what we prefer:
My proposal for this specific thing is:
Use only conventional record schemas in the recordSchema parameter,
concatenate them  in a fixed  container <srw:container> and do not add
the complexity of other envelopes.

Theo

>>> [log in to unmask] 11-08-2005 15:51 >>>
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:40:37 -0400
> From: "Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> From: "Robert Sanderson" <[log in to unmask]>
> > We could change the semantics to:
> > [...]
>
> I still feel strongly about overloading a parameter, which is why I
> suggested a new parameter altogether.  The problem with that is we
> would have to wait until the next version.

I agree that overloading parameters is bad.

However --
(A) there is no parameter-overloading in my suggestion of using URIs
    constructed according to some documented scheme;
(B) we have a well-defined extension mechanism so there would in any
    case be no reason to wait until v2.

 _/|_
/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "There is a huge switching cost to using a different
operating
         system.  It is this switching cost that has given customers
         the patience to stick with Windows through all our mistakes,
         our buggy drivers, our high TCO, our lack of a sexy version"
--
         Microsoft's C++ Manager Aaron Contorer, in a memo to Bill
Gates.