> > That's hardly working from scratch and most of your client code
> > remains unchanged.
>
> Here is my SRU client:
>         http://sru.miketaylor.org.uk/source.pl?which=trivial
> Please show me how to convert it into an SRW client while
> keeping most of the code unchanged.

I was going to add (but didn't think it necessay) - apart from the
extreme case where the client is so lightweight that a developer
wouldn't lose much sleep throwing the code away and starting again. That
code is hardly an example where "Imagine someone who's built up an SRU
client, been happily using it for several years". On the other hand if
someone had investigate time building a client with a good front end,
display code for handling different formats etc. (e.g. Theo's) - much of
that code could be re-used.

Matthew