From: Z39.50 Next-Generation Initiative [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Mike Taylor
Sent: 05 August 2005 00:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: rec context set schema

> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 23:27:32 +0100
> From: "Matthew J. Dovey" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Here's a (real) MARC record from the Oxford catalogue:
> [snip]
> 971    $a com.gbr $b 950726
>
> In MARC 9xx fields are for local use, and in Oxford we stick some
> record metadata into the 971 field. So in this case I can tell you
> my MSc thesis was catalogued by someone in the computing lab (com)
> with the initials GBR on the 26 July 1995.
> [...]
> If I asked for the record via SRW in REC format, I'd get [...]  just
> the 971 provenance data in a more standard form, but no
> bibliographic details

Oooooo-kay.  That is pretty lame, but I have to admit that it does
just about manage to limp along.  OK, I won't complain about the "rec"
schema any more (though it would be good to see this use-case in the
schema documentation).

... but how much better to have a schema that lets you include the
record-level metadata along with the data.

 _/|_
/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "He gives us unbelievable belief" -- Paul Merson, of Arsenal
         manager Arsene Wenger.

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled