At 09:57 PM 9/3/2005, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>If one could get enough 7/32" splicing tape, this might work. Exposed
>adhesive could be deactivated with talcum powder or corn starch, a
>technique that was
>used to salvage sticky "Scotch Tape" splices in reused tape in the very early
>days. It is hard to imagine the tediousness of this process though.
>
>Another approach to the problem might be to use the sound head of a film
>projector equipped for magnetic sound. In most (at least Kodak), the
>track is read
>by a movable head while the medium is bent around a rotating drum, flattening
>it and providing a rigid backing. One might also mount a film projector head
>assembly (if you can find one) on a tape deck so it could read the track from
>the tape threaded so that it rapped part way around the pressure roller.
>
>Just a couple of wild ideas!

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the ideas.

I think you understand completely when you say:

"It is hard to imagine the tediousness of this process though."

But this would be better than what I'm doing.

The other alternative is to "nail" pieces down to a board and then
figure out how to move the head down the board at a constant speed.

Looking at this reel will cause the tape to snap.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes