>   I second Steve Smolian and others who would like to see some kind of
>information base about tape manufacturers and the quality of their product
>over the years.

I've been reading this thread with a bit of an interest in the topic, but
since I've only ever run across a few reels of acetate based tape, it's
more cursory interest than anything else.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that many times, the name on the box, or
the name on the reel are NOT reliable and the tape on the reel inside may
be something altogether different.  So, would knowing the information that
such an information base would contain be of any use?  If I have an Irish
box with a reel inside that says Ampex, how will the information base help
me if the tape on the reel is Scotch?

How are people determining what type of tape is actually on those reels?

Diamond Productions
Specializing in analog tape & film preservation / restoration in the
digital domain.
Dave Bradley   President