Hi, Joel,

I don't understand what you mean by "wouldn't even attempt to fix."

These tools (with perhaps the exception of Cedar Cambridge) are
extremely powerful and also difficult to use. Cedar Cambridge is very
simple to use and effective. All the other devices I've seen,
including the Algorithmix Pro Plug-ins have LOTs of adjustments.

I would not use the Wizard in the Magix ACL, but would suggest using
the cleaning FX rack and learn what each adjustment does. I don't
think the upgrade to the Algorithmix Sound Laundry plug-ins will buy
you much with the de-clicking. While I haven't used it, the
Algorithmix ScratchFree Pro might be a choice compared to Cedar
Cambridge. I do have the NoiseFreePro Algorithmix plug-in and it was
worth its price as compared to the Sound Laundry suite.

You can get a time-limited demo version of the Algorithmix
ScratchFree Pro and it should plug into ACL.

http://www.algorithmix.com/en/descr_pro.htm

Another option for less money is Diamond Cut 6,  but I haven't
extensively used their scratch/click removal, but the guys who wrote
this came from restoring Edison grooved recordings--and wrote it for
that project. DC6 will do things at the extreme end that most other
software cannot. It's also a powerful forensics package. I find the
Algorithmix NoiseFreePro more "musical" but DC6 will save your hide
when you need it.

DC6 is a full-featured package and I think it's under $200. If this
doesn't work, at least in my experience, you might not be happy until
you get the Algorithmix Pro plug-in.

http://www.diamondcut.com/Catalog/DC6.htm

You might want to talk to the people at http://www.tracertek.com/
which is another good place to buy DC Six.

Some of the best results are done manually, by the way. "Good Enough"
is a slippery slope.

I'm sure others will make other suggestions as there are lots of
products I don't follow.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Richard

At 10:07 AM 9/14/2005, you wrote:
>Dear friends:
>
>Some while back, we had a discussion of Magix Sound Cleaning Lab --
>I just tried it and found the results problematic with LPs, and
>often it wouldn't even attempt to fix noisy 78s.
>
>Are there other suggestions for "good enough" automated sound
>clean-up? Or is that really too much to ask of any software?
>
>Best,
>
>Joel

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes