I just transferred a reel of acetate tape that had been stored on a
Scotch/3M auto-threading reel. It has solid sides (no windows) and
three springy clips in the walls near the hubs. From the outside, the
clips are chrome-ish. From the inside they are green.

There was some starting of blocking (layer-to-layer adhesion) of the
wraps of tape near the hub.

There was no significant vinegar smell.

The tape/reel had been stored at approx. 21C 43%RH with limited
swings for the last year, prior to that I don't know, but I think it
had been in climate controlled storage.

I suspect this odd reel is not allowing the centre of the tape back
to breathe much and concentrating whatever outgassing of the tape
pack. Also, another very loose tape pack on the outside (not in the centre).

I'm not sure what this means, but I would think this supports the
need to at least examine the acetate tapes in your collection and
also look especially if you have this reel.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes