All the Victor/Bluebird, and Decca parts I have transferred (fathers,
mothers and stampers)
have been nickel-plated copper, the nickel being the recorded surface.

(The film Command Performance says Victor also employed a final plating of
platinum(!),
but I find that more than a little hard to believe.)

My experience with parts from the 20's, 30's and 40's is that the nickel
rarely shows any signs
of tarnish. In any case, I use Noxon metal polish and a suitable soft brush,
followed by distilled
water and drying with lint-free paper towels. My tests have shown this
treatment does not degrade
the surface in any audible way.

At the Sony Studios they are doing the same.

Doug Pomeroy