Dear Mike and List Readers,

As you've probably found, some manufacturers released vinyl 78's without
notice or with minimal notice. I've seen Columbia 78's pressed in black
vinyl with very little if any indication of that fact; and several small
labels used vinyl, usually either black or red, most or all of the time.
Many children's records were pressed in vinyl, perhaps in order to use
colored discs, probably also because of shatter-resistance. Many promos for
radio station use were pressed in vinyl, while their marketed versions were
made of shellac. Most vinyl 78's seem to have been marketed after WW II
(but there are probably exceptions to that observation).

Richard