Mike,

I think the issue is broader than that. The FW and USB interconnects
are native to the PC's OS (in most cases), while the AES and
LightPipe are two-step processes. I think it's really implementation
dependent. I suspect we can hear horror stories about any one
approach depending on implementation/system configuration.

On the other hand, I think all approaches can work well in most
implementations.

I bought into the dedicated PCI card approach in 2003 because that
seemed to be a good choice at the time. In 2004 when I bought my
laptop, I made sure it had USB and FW ports on it for future audio
use (as of yet not implemented).

I _think_ the more cost-effective interfaces may end up being USB due
to potential market size.

Remember, audio (especially only stereo audio) is a small percentage
of either USB or FW400's available bandwidth.

My opinion is, all else being equal, cut out the middleman PCI card
with the proprietary, AES/EBU, or LightPipe interface and go with the
industry-standard port (USB or FW). Bat that is 2005--almost 2006.

I would look to M-Audio for some interesting boxes. We're waiting on
reports about their CF hard disk recorder. I know a few people who
have ordered them over on the Ampex mailing list. Alas, it has just
been confirmed that the first shipment of these have 30V phantom
power, not 48V.

Cheers,

Richard

At 02:15 PM 9/23/2005, you wrote:
>Moving beyond the RME products--which I also use and love--is anyone
>aware of issues/concerns when using firewire to move data from a
>converter to a computer? How does firewire compare to USB, or AES using
>a card, or lightpipe--that is, advantages/disadvantages to each, other
>than what has already been expressed?
>
>Mike

>Mike Casey
>Coordinator of Recording Services
>Archives of Traditional Music
>Indiana University
>
>(812) 855-8090

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes