On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> Look at your hourly rate. Look at how much other stuff you can do
> while something else is happening. Look at how long each task takes
> and charge accordingly. I believe in a basic pricing structure that
> treats everyone the same.

When I set up our reformatting/restoration service at the University, I
did pretty much the same as Richard suggested in his posting. For our
internal (University customers) we started out charging $60 an hour. Local
studio rates are about $90-$110 an hour, so, by law, we had to charge
more, for our non-university work, as to not to be seen as being in
competition with the private sector.

While I no longer do any of the transfer work at the University, I do my
own work for my label and will, from, time to time, do work for others.
Unlike Richard, my rates depend on how much I think I would enjoy the
project...and I charge less doing work for friends.

I would like to add, that you can get cheaper rates, but if you want it
done right, it takes time. When it comes to music, I monitor everything as
closely as I would if I was planning to release it.

In the "old" days, one needed to monitor both the source and the copy. I
recently acquired a collection of tapes which had some Mitropoulos
performances I would like to issue. Unfortunately, most of the tapes have
drop out which happened during the original transfer from the
lacquers...and I don't have access to the lacquers...anyone out there with
Mitropoulos conducting Wolpe and the Schuman Judith?

Karl