Richard,

A little history from the city that probably had more of these per-
capita than anywhere else in the world.  I'll try to do a bit of
research for the various model changes to help clear up the lineage,
let me know if you need it.

The Mitsu X-80/86 2-track machines were "thrown in" many times with
deals that were for the PD 32-track machines - there was no
particular "fondness" to the sound of the converters (as shown by the
subsequent Apogee upgrade in the multitrack machines) that endeared
them to the community.

Regarding transferring of the format, Otari made for many years the
UFC-24 format converter that gave you a PD to other various digital
formats (AES/EBU)

Also, at the time, most everyone was using the Sony 1630 or the JVC
mastering system, and anytime possible the mastering facility took
the digital stream (AES) from the 2-track machine, thereby rendering
the D/A converters of the X-8x out of the loop.

I'm sure that were projects where the D/A converters of the X-80/86
were used in the mastering process as well, but probably not so much.

Regarding the creation of digital preservation files from a 16-bit
source, I'm not sure that I would agree with using the converters of
the machines you own to create analog copies.  The members of the
NARAS P&E Wing Committee were pretty clear in their agreement that
digital transfers of source material to analog tape created
subjective differences from the digital original (as opposed to the
other way).  I would dare say that if you get a good error-free
playback of the digital output, you can make better archival
preservation files to use through better converters down the road.
Analog copies WILL sound different.

Later,
John

John Spencer