It might be a waste from a certain perspective except that (if I
remember correctly) the AES standard for storage of polyester audio tape
recommends NAB hubs with flanges. You can certainly play pancakes on
some decks without flanges and store them without flanges, but from a
preservation standpoint, they really should have flanges. There are some
trade offs here. If buying the flanges at $12 a set means you have to
fire your engineer, then maybe it isn't such a good idea. But however
much it costs up front it will save a bundle in the end if you've got a
mountain of tape on the floor that popped off the hubs after an
earthquake or something.

And I'm also a happy US Recording Media customer (and unhappy Quantegy
customer).

David Seubert
UCSB