  This is a good point. Much depends upon how reliable you know the source to
have been concerning buying only one or another kind of tape, being
meticulous about keeping that brand in its box or on its manufacturer-identified reel
(which some people are/were not), and so on. And in some cases, such as
archives, one may know little or nothing about the source's habits. In my case, the
tape collections I obtained came from people I knew and I could be sure that if
a tape box or any other identification named a certain manufacturer, it was
accurate about the tape itself.

  Don Tait