Many years ago, when these reels were relatively new, a friend of mine had a
similar experience with some tape stored on a 3M self-takeup reel. He
complained to 3M, they confirmed that this was a problem with the adhesive used to
catch the end of the tape at the hub, and sent him a replacement reel with the
warning not to use it to store tape.

I don't think one should draw conclusions about vinegar syndrome from this
experience.  There are other reels that have little or no side openings so one
could look for problems with them.

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 9/14/2005 6:20:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,