In a message dated 9/15/2005 12:12:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

My two recent posts on the subject is to alert people that there are
potential accelerating factors that need to be considered in addition
to the widely known ones:
   (1) Kodak brand acetate tapes
   (2) The 3M auto-threading reel

Cheers,

Richard

I wonder in what way these are "accelerating factors" for the Vinegar
Syndrome.  Neither Kodak's "Triacetate" base nor 3M's permanently tacky adhesive for
the auto-threading reel were used by any other tape manufacturer and are
unlikely to be encountered in most archives.

If found, these materials should be removed from an archive because of their
apparent instability, but this says nothing about the behavior of normal tape
materials.

Mike Csontos