Karl Miller wrote:

> For me, digitization is only part of it. Duplicate copies, in different
> locations is, for me, of equal importance. While we do not have the fiscal
> resources to adequately address our preservation needs, unlike the
> Library of Alexandria, we do have the techology to make duplicate
> copies at minimal expense.

Some decades back, a study was undertaken to locate the national radio
telescope. The primary requirement was minimum exposure to natural
disasters - earthquake, hurricane, tornado, flood, ... The site chosen
was Green Bank, West Virginia. Somewhat different criteria have applied
for storage of corporate records; the resolution there involved depleted
salt mines. National defense requirements led to the development of
Cheyenne Mountain.

The point is that if a national archive is to be established, those
responsible might first define criteria for its location, then assess
available sites. Secondary repositories make sense, particularly when
duplicate digital records are involved, but note that they will have
different criteria from the primary. For example, a secondary archive
should be readily accessible; the primary need not be.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/