Mark Downs wrote:
> I am currently working with a reel-to-reel recording of Neal Cassady.  While
> listening to it, I notice that it seems to have an underlying track in reverse.
>  When the interview runs out, there is still the sound reversal until the end of
> the reel.  Does anybody know how this occurs or how I might listen to it?

Second thought (too obvious): a half-track mono recording played back on
both output channels. Turn one off/down. Turn the tape over to hear the
reversed track.

Unfortunately, the "standard" for half-track mono recordings was to
record in both "directions".  Since the tapes so recorded can't be
stored "tails out", print-through results in pre-echo on one track
and post-echo on the other.

Gary