Having done this all of my life as a documentary filmmaker, and using
students before, I would recommend that the most important things are the
microphone and the training of students in how to provoke valuable and  meaningful
cassette recorders using full-size analog audio  cassettes.  We use Marantz
portables which are not small, are inexpensive  and of high quality.  The
microphones used are wired lapel microphones, not  wireless.  Placing the
microphones properly makes a big difference.   Most important are the kinds of
questions the student asks the student asks to  provoke powerful answers, knowing when
to interrupt and where not to, helping  the presenter to understand that this
is an important moment and that their  reflections are valuable rather than
trying to  "make them not  nervous."
David Hoffman
Varied Directions International
_www.thehoffmancollection.com_ (http://www.thehoffmancollection.com)