Do you know that if they are on standard hubs, you need only one pair
of flanges and one reel? You place a flange on the reel table, carefuly
put the pancake on it, and lay the other flange on top. The hub adaptor
should lock down on top to hold it together for play - then you leave
it in tails out after playing (NOT fast winding!) and tape the end of
the tape down so the tension holds it in place.

If you can't find flanges, a metal reel can be disassembled to become
two flanges. Some people - especially if inexperienced - prefer to
screw the flanges to the hub so it is secure while using the tapes...
it is perilously easy for a poorly packed pancake of tape to "melt" and
become a - pardon the phrase - holy mess on the floor. Been there,
spent hours or days restoring them to a full reel!

If you need more detailed information Please ask - it would be a huge
waste to buy flanges for every reel if you can only play one at a time.
This is from one who has handled thousands upon thousands of tape
pancakes , and only ever owned a half dozen flanges.

Are you knowledgable about the need for baking tape of a certain
vintage if they have sticky-shed syndrome, and what kind of tape NOT to
bake? Depends on the years they were made, how they were stored, and
the manufacturer.

Hope this is not too much info, nor dangerously not quite enough...

Lou

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689