I own a 744T, and there has been a large amount of discussion of all
these options recently (and ongoing) at several nature sound sites.
There is a company callled Oade Brothers that modifies the PMD series
with better preamps and input stages. There is also the new M-audio
Micro-2496, which is a bit flimsier but  cheaper too.

Lou

Lou Judson � Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689