Hello all,

In the Koninklijke Bibliotheek, the National Library of the
Netherlands, we are currently considering to start using EAD, not only
for archival and manuscript collections but for our collections in
general, ranging from publisher's archives to thematic collections such
as children's books, bookbindings, chess collection etc.
But will library's users be sufficiently interested in collection level
descriptions to justify this investment?
To answer this question I am looking for user surveys, for instance
measuring user satisfaction with EAD finding aids etc. or any other
information on how (how frequently, for which purposes etc.) collection
descriptions are used in your organisation and how they are appreciated
by users.

I am also interested in EAD-implementations - especially in libraries -
other than the straightforward archival finding aids, for instance for
collections of heterogeneous materials (including books), inclusion of
digitised images (such as the Urban Landscape:
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/diap/ or the Ranfurly collection
http://ranfurly.natlib.govt.nz/content/browse.htm ).
Examples of finding aids with request options for the materials
included in the description would also be of interest.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Marianne Peereboom

Marianne Peereboom
Koninklijke Bibliotheek | National Library of the Netherlands
Hoofdafdeling Kennisdiensten & Collecties | Expert Services and
Collections Division
PO Box 90407,  NL-2509 LK The Hague, The Netherlands
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
tel. +31 70 3140665