Audrey,
From what you have written, I would say your real question is the
following:

What EAD coding pattern is the best for anticipating the HTML
generated WWW document?

I have created a page and a PDF designed to meet this exact question.
(XSLT Transformation Overview) There is a PDF that outlines the
coding patterns used in the XSLT. IOW, what you can expect in the
HTML if you code the EAD in a certain way. (mu20050001.pdf)

If you use my stylesheet (EAD_2002_HTML_conv-1.xsl), there is
"central station" that creates the HTML tables in accordance with
specific coding patterns in the EAD 2002 XML.

I include these URLs below.

I hope this helps.

Mike Ferrando
Library Technician