Any persons wishing to be considered for any of the positions advertised below may apply by completing an application form, which is available at the Department of Human Resources, 3rd Floor, Global House, 43 Church Street, Hamilton HM12. Alternatively, the application form may be downloaded from our website at www.gov.bm.
Ministry of Community Affairs and Sport
Assistant Librarian, Adult Services
Bermuda National Library
Applicants are invited for the post of Assistant Librarian, Adult Services to work in the Bermuda National Library section of the Ministry of Community Affairs and Sport. Working under the direction of the Adult Services Librarian, as part of a team, the post holder will undertake a range of professional duties including performing Information Research Services’ Reader/Reference Assistance and Collection Development of designated sections of the Adult Services Collection, in accordance with the Bermuda Library Act and departmental policies and procedures. The Assistant Librarian will also undertake personnel and general administrative duties within the Adult Services Section.
Duties of the post include, but are not limited to:
• providing patrons with readers’ advisory assistance; assisting patrons in the use of bibliographic and other references on compact disc; and answering general reference questions as required by residents, visitors and overseas researchers and more detailed reference queries which are referred by the Senior Library Assistant;
• developing good relationships with other Government departments and private organizations to assist in answering public queries;
• providing orientation programmes for new library members and conducting group visits;
• selecting and ordering periodicals, audiovisual materials and software for designated sections of the Adult Services Section Collection;
• selecting materials to be included in the Vertical Files;
• compiling work schedule for Circulation Desk and drawing up holiday roster for Library Assistants;
• training and supervising Library Assistants and monitoring staff productivity;
• attending all Supervisory Staff meetings; producing special reports and maintaining an up-to-date procedure manual.
Applicants must have attained a Master of Library Science (M.L.S.) from an accredited University, Chartered Membership of the Library Association (U.K.), or the equivalent. Applicants must be capable of operating within a computerized environment, and must provide courteous and efficient service to the public. The post requires a minimum of three (3) years’ post-qualification library experience. Evening, Saturday and Sunday work will be required.
Closing Date: September 21st, 2005
Nellie S. C. Moffitt, MSLS
Navy General Library Program
6490 Saufley Field Rd.
Pensacola, FL 32509
[log in to unmask]
850-452-1001 x 2188
"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."
Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog