I prefer explicit setting of data types.

1. I like not having to remember defaults.
2. When using Sun RELAX NG Converter to convert PREMIS to RelaxNG I
discovered that this tool does not handle the defaults correctly
(i.e. absence of data type for element did not convert to
type=xs:string). When the data type is present the conversion worked as
expected. This is not the fault of PREMIS but it seems being explicit can
prevent downstream headaches.

Morgan Cundiff