At 11:27 AM 10/6/2005, Karl Miller wrote:

>A notion which is increasingly having institutions refuse to accept
>collections that come without endowments to cover the preservation
>costs... Plus, as we have read in the pages of the NY Times, museums and
>such compromising the trust of donors, and the public by selling off
>materials...in the name of keeping the museum, archive...etc. functioning.

What about the sell-off and destruction of many of the runs of old
newspapers that Nicholson Baker documents in "Double Fold"? Including
a set of a major NY Newspaper that had been presented by the publisher.

I recently purchased a 3-volume set of the monumental 20-year-old
Atlas of Canadian History produced by Univ of Toronto.

I was saddened to see that Vol 1 was a de-accessioned library copy
from a high school in Canada. Wouldn't you think that the high school
would want this on hand as a reference book. My brother-in-law (book
lover and Ph.D. in history) was saddened to see that Vol 3 was a
presentation copy to someone. Vol 2 although purchased used, appeared
to be new-old-stock.

So now I have the 3-volume set at the new cost of the abridged
one-volume version, or 1/3 the cost of a new set of the 3-volume set.
But WHY are libraries dumping this stuff? With something of this
nature, even if people don't look at it, I would think it would be
their fond hope that someone would take the initiative to read it.
Now if I can only get my kids to read it instead of watching animations on TV.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada             http://www.richardhess.com/