At 08:49 PM 10/3/2005, Tom Fine wrote:
>Hi Richard:
>
>I'd worry even more about the dual-layer DVD
>media, just based on historical experience with multi-layer plastic
>products.

Tom, Aren't all DVDs two layers of plastic?

>I would bet that for every one DAT mechanism ever manufactured (and I'd
>guess maybe 50% of all ever made, or more, are no longer in good working
>order), there have been 20+ laser-bearing drives made that can read most or
>all formats of 5" plastic discs. And for every DAT tape ever spooled, maybe
>50+ blank CDR's have rolled out of Asian factories. That's a good harbinger
>for the long-term viability of the CDR format.

My guess is, that even including DataDATs, your numbers are way low.
I would think the ratio is way higher, but even at your numbers...

>This is an example where
>industry standardization on a method and form factor is a very Good Thing.
>I'm hoping very much that DVD+/-R is a continuation of the Good Thing but
>it's pretty early to pass judgement.

I do send out a fair amount of work on DVD-R discs and tell people
PLEASE make copies, and I keep their originals and my files around
until they let me know they are happy and have checked everything.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                           email: [log in to unmask]
Vignettes