At 10:53 AM 10/18/2005, Steve Smolian wrote:
>But discographies on-line can be corrected.  A Wikopedia type
>structure might work- corrections by peer review, signed, should be
>a good starting place.

Yes, this has been suggested for many years (in 1998 I began a small
mailing list on the subject titled "jazz computer discography project").

It's easier said than done. The fact is that the database programming
for such a thing is much more involved than for a single-user offline
database. But the data exchange function in the BRIAN application is
a major step in the right direction. Users can and do submit
corrections and additions in XML format to the appropriate
discographers. From what I know of the Wikipedia project, it's just
plain text (with some hyperlinks) not any kind of database (and it
shouldn't be - it's encyclopedia-type text).

Mike

mike at JazzDiscography.com
http://www.JazzDiscography.com