Verve experimented with psych/pop/rock, but as a label they didn't
seem to know what to do with a lot of it.  No better illustration of
this was their shelving of _The Velvet Underground & Nico_ for a
year, finally releasing it in 1967 (two singles from the album came
out in 1966).  The album didn't make much of a ripple when released,
due in part to poor promotion.  See Clinton Heylin's new collection
of reviews from the era, _All Yesterday's Parties: The Velvet
Underground in Print, 1966-1971_, for a bit more context.

Verve was smart enough to hold onto the rights of this now classic
rock album.  But it still sticks out like a sore thumb in the Verve
catalog:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist.aspx?ob=rnd&src=rslt&aid=6527

The Gordian Knot album came out in 1968 and I think saw CD release on
some collectors label (memory fails).

But the case of Verve and their attempts to move beyond the
tremendous strength of their jazz catalog, raises questions about the
company's culture, its decision-making processes, etc.  I would have
liked to sit in on a few of those meetings....

Kyle Barnett
Dept. of Radio-Television-Film
College of Communication
The University of Texas at Austin