  These recordings recorded in San Francisco under contract were issued
by Fantasy in mono and stereo editions, I think the Bear Family lp was
mono.  Does anyone know if the original recordings were done in stereo,
or was the fantasy "electronic stereo"???  The Fantasy was stopped by
injunction which held up in court, the contracts being deemed invalid
because JB was underage at the time of signing.
   However the recordings with Bill Wood and Ted Alevizos issued on
Veritas (limited edition-mine numbered somewhere in the 1600's), and
many subsequent incarnations was deemed legal, so continues to be
available (these were recorded in Boston when she was just starting on
the coffee house circuit).  The Scorsese Bob Dylan documentary contains
one song from a CBS TV appearance shortly after her
stunning appearance at Newport, and I believe the show also had Bill Wood.
  I think the Joan Baez in San Francisco lp is one of her most
interesting recordings - reflecting the pop music of the 50's when she
grew up -In the late the 60's many an after show impromptu session of
the performers on that evenings bill at the local folk coffee house were
doing these same songs (Belafonte, Coasters, other early 50's pop and RnR).
  Best wishes, Thomas.