Dear Tom,

Considering all of the variables that surround the creation (and
retrieval) of optical media archival storage, I must say that
"industry standardization" regarding CD-R is at best a misplaced
argument.  Many users of CD-R media for backup look for the best deal
(100 spindle for $25, total junk) and expect that to be a good
archival format.  Even if you are using the best archival Gold CD-R
media out there, you have (at best) a perilous digital archive.

It is not about the shelf life, it is about the availability of
drives (and perhaps compatible software/ firmware) on which you place
your assets.

Regarding DVD+/-R, I would say that your hopes may or may not have an
influence on which camp wins (DVD-HD/ Blu-Ray), and no one knows the
backwards compatibility of the next generation readers.

John

John Spencer
www.bridgemediasolutions.com