As I mentioned in a previous message, I've revised the MARC to MADS
mapping to include the additional changes that Andrew Houghton suggested.

I realized in mapping the 18X fields that there is no way to code in the
MADS record that the heading is a subdivision only. This sort of construct
of course is only relevant to particular subject thesauri, LCSH being one,
but that information is needed for using the records in constructing a
heading. There are a few other characteristics that we have no way to
bring out.

So I would propose adding something to MADS to code these sorts of
things. I would call it "specialCharacteristics" and include the
following:

<authorization>
The type of heading for which the authority is appropriate,
e.g. subdivision. (Equivalent to MARC authority 008/09 code d)
This distinction is needed for some thesauri, e.g. LCSH, MESH.

<descriptionRules>
The set of rules, if any, used to formulate the authority.
e.g. AACR2. Equivalent to 008/10

There would probably be other characteristics that need to be added in the
future.

Are there others that are needed now?

Rebecca