From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Havard Hjulstad
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: New ISO 639 proposal - Tok Pisin - Discussion

Dear JAC members,

The request below is actually for adding an alpha-2 identifier (ISO 639-1) to an item which already has an alpha-3 identifier in ISO 639-2. The English-based Creole Tok Pisin has had the identifier tpi since publication of ISO 639-2 in 1998.

The reason for requesting an alpha-2 identifier is that the language has official status in Papua New Guinea.

The requested alpha-2 identifier (tp) is available.

Discussion please (until 2005-12-02).

Best regards,
Håvard

************* Submission: **********

This data was submitted on: Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 11:09:34

lang_in_eng = Tok pisin
lang_in_fre = tok pisin
ref_where_found_1 = ISO 639-2
lang_in_vern = Pisin
ref_where_found_2 =
trans_lit =
evidence = As this language is already in OSO 639-2, it is clear that there issufficient evidence to introduce it in ISO 639-1, which is necessary because it has an official status in Papua New Guinea (see Ethnologue for example)
addinfo = See ethnologue for example
request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2
2_code_suggestion = tp
3_code_suggestion = tpi
submit_name = Lang Gérard
submit_email = [log in to unmask]
submit_status = Convenor of ISO/TC 46/WG 2