Dear JAC members,

One ballot is actually still missing, but the result is clear: Serbo-Croatian is not approved in ISO 639-2, and it is not "un-deprecated" in ISO 639-1. There does not seem to be any purpose in ciculating a second ballot at this point.

Since the ballot was based on an "internal" request, and since the decision actually means no change, I shouldn't think that it is necessary to publicise it more widely.

The consequences of the decision are the following (in my analysis):

ISO 639-1 has the alpha-2 identifier sh, which is deprecated; users need to choose one or more of the identifiers sr, hr, bs.

ISO 639-2 has no identifier; users need to choose one or more of the identifiers srp/scc, hrv/scr, bos (T/B identifiers).

ISO 639-3 has an identifier hsb, assigned to the "macro-language".

First question: Am I right in this analysis?

Second question: Is this the best solution?

Third question: If not -- what to do?

Best regards,
Håvard

Håvard Hjulstad
Standard Norge / Standards Norway
  P.O.Box 242, NO-1326 Lysaker (Norway)
  +47 67838645 (direct)   fax: +47 67838601
http://www.standard.no/
mailto:[log in to unmask]