We need to keep on top of the 639 site. Ideally, the site should be updated simultaneously with any announced change or addition. The msg below observes that the site is now two months out of date.

Thanks.
Peter Constable

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 8:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Håvard Hjulstad
Subject: Re: New ISO 639 language identifier - Karelian

Håvard Hjulstad <HHj at standard dot no> wrote:

> A list of ISO 639 identifiers, as well as a list of all changes, are
> available on the ISO 639 RA-JAC web site at
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639jac.html. Users should
> be advised to go to that site as a source, rather than copying
> information to sites that are not maintained by the ISO 639 RA-JAC.

I'd like to be able to rely on that site for timely updates, but
unfortunately it has not proven very reliable in that regard.  As of
right now (November 22, 04:40 UTC) none of the six changes announced in
the past two months is reflected on the Change Notice page, nor on any
of the six Code List pages.

The code element added in September (rup) was not added to any of these
pages either, until four weeks later, when I wrote to this list asking
why it was not there:

http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-languages/2005-October/003712.html

These pages would be a much more useful resource if they could be
expected to stay up-to-date within, say, a day or two of announced
changes.  A few years ago that was the norm.

In any event, the Web page I mentioned has to do specifically with
adding these new and changed code elements as primary language subtags
under RFC 3066bis.  It will include the proposed registry entries,
verbatim.  It isn't intended to be a mirror of ISO 639-2.  I'd be glad
to add cross-references to the 639-2 site, but since these changes
aren't reflected there, the best I can do is to add references to your
(Håvard's) announcements on this list.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA