What we have done at CDL in our access repository based on xtf.sf.net is
sort of like your option 3...  The system we are using was designed for
full text searching.  If an object has a TEI or an EAD that is indexed,
then the METS is mostly ignored at indexing.  If the object is something
like a photo scrapbook or a simple image with no TEI or EAD, then METS
is indexed.  The top level DMD (actually we cheat and assume the first
DMD with xmlData is for the parent object) is turned into the dublin
core metadata for the METS document as a whole; and where there is more
DMD -- that is all indexed as if its the text of the document.  This
way, a metadata+text keyword search will find hits on words in the deep
metadata and we will see "snippets" in the search results because our
search results think they are hits in the text of the textsless
document.  I may be able to get it so that clicking on the faux-text hit
in the snippet will open up the page viewer to the page where the hit is
in the metadata.

Some people have objected that this approach blurs the line between
content and metadata because metadata is in the "text" index.  I think
this is only a temporary solution, ideally you could search across
different levels of discovery granularity, and limit to specific fields
at any level.

Also, most of our METS are at the level of the individual item / photo /
album with one descriptive record for the whole entity.  One reason we
went to METS was because people were not satisfied with searching EAD
finding aids and having to dig down the description of subordinate
components (dsc) to find the digitized item.  They wanted an item level
search of all the digital objects.  Now that we have started to accept
submissions of more complex METS, we are seeing more and more cases
where significant portions of the dsc hierarchy has been moved to the
METS structMap -- and we have the same issue of people wanting to search
/ retrieve on different levels of the hierarchy, because most of the
item level cataloging is buried in deep metadata.

-- Brian