James, I've brought this up a number of times over the last year or two, and
technicaly, no, there is no support for alternate names, and it's a touchy
subject here because of what I'd call arcane cataloguing practices that have
influenced MODS (and now MADS).

Aside: I had an interesting conversation over lunch at the Access 2005 about
this with a few librarians and an archivist. I was explaining it made no
sense to me that in the 21st century library cataloguing practices (and the
XML formats that serve them) still focus on names. Names, put simply, do not
do anything, and are simply labels for more fundmental objects. People
author books.

Anyway, the interesting part of the conversation was the archivist
explaining that their catloguing practices are different, and that they
indeeed tend to focus more on the objects (people, organizations, etc.).

Bruce