> Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:30:32 +0100
> From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> I think you've missed an earlier part of the discussion.  CQL
>> already has nice, general syntax for the general proximity
>> searching.  What we're talking about here is whether a specific
>> case of proxmity ("same element" searching) is best expressed using
>> proximity with a specific
>
> I don't sematically see "same element" (in the same leaf container)
> as proximity.

Hmm.  I am trying to think of a polite way to say "then you are
mistaken", but I can't find one.  :-)

> Proximity is distance.. Within X characters.. Within X
> words.. within some metric. Same element is NOT a metric.

If you really want to push this point, you'll have to overturn an
ANSI/NISO standard going back a full decade and ratified by ISO.  See
	http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/markup/09.html#3.7.2

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <[log in to unmask]>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think
	 sardines will be thrown overboard" -- Eric Cantona.  Yeah, right.