Robert Sanderson wrote:

>[snip]
>that database, I'd use one of the existing ones.  Just the same as most
>people wouldn't write their own SOAP library to implement SRW or their
>own XML parser, most people won't write their own CQL parser ... and
>don't have to, as there are existing open source implementations for the
>major languages.
>
>Rob

Er, to that I say:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=cql+parser+php&btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=cql+parser+ruby&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

I note this page:
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw/tools.html

mentions Java, Perl and Python (is there no C parser?).  I use the
Python parser and certainly I would have have given up on trying to
create an SRU client completely if it had not existed.

To say there are parsers "for the major languages" is not only
exclusive, it's incorrect (.Net?).  Or, rather, if it's not incorrect,
where are they?

It is very easy to bang the drum that "SRW/U is a superior way to
implement search" (and it can be), but if there aren't the tools for the
languages that power a /huge percentage of the web/, this, frankly,
rings a little hollow.

-Ross.