Forwarded from Sherman Clarke:

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:57:27 -0500
From: Sherman Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: VRA Core 4.0 Beta Draft

Good afternoon listees,

I am happy to announce that the VRA Core 4.0 Beta Draft documents and
XML schema are now available for perusal on vraweb!  You can access
these documents from the "What's New" column on the VRA home page at
http://www.vraweb.org or from the new Data Standards home page at
http://www.vraweb.org/datastandards/VRADS_Main_page.htm  At this site,
there are links to the following documents:  Introduction, Element
Outline, Element Description, and the VRA Core XML Schema and Examples
page.  This last page, beautifully designed by our schema author Esme
Cowles, has links to two XML schemas (one lax and one strict) and a
number of examples submitted by DSC members.  Each example has 2
data "views," created by xslt stylesheets to illustrate how the XML
data may be formatted for different kinds of display, in addition to a
raw XML data view.  At the bottom of this page are links to an XML
validator, some XML information sites, and the stylesheets and java
source code used to format the examples.

We are currently looking for brave beta testers to put the XML schema
through its paces by testing it against real-world data and
applications.  Please pass this message on to any technical support
people with whom you work.  An Online Discussion Forum has been set up
on MemberClicks where anyone can post, read, and/or reply to comments,
questions, and suggestions.  While you need not be a VRA member to
read, post, or reply to this forum, we ask that you log in to
MemberClicks first if you are a VRA member.  If you are not a VRA
member, please be sure to include your name and institutional
affiliation along with your post so we know who's talking!  The success
of the XML schema depends on testing its limits in a variety of
settings and with different kinds of collection data.  All of these
documents represent working drafts that may change at any time, based
on input received via the Discussion Forum so don't be shy about making
yourself heard.  Your suggestions and  findings will help shape this
into a truly useful tool.  Please try to send your comments and/or test
results to the Forum by January 31, 2006 so we can finalize the schema
before we all meet in Baltimore in March.  Happy testing!

Jan Eklund
Chair, VRA Data Standards Committee
UC Berkeley

[forwarded to MARC, metadatalibrarians-monarchos, and CCS-SAC by
Sherman Clarke, VRA rep to MARC Advisory Committee, New York University
Libraries - [log in to unmask]]