Judy :

As John Hostage pointed out, and as John Espley's publication pattern
that you referenced in your message illustrates, the logic of using this
type of pattern is for those serial publications that publish more than
one issue per year and use the chronological designation (i.e., the
year) as the base level of enumeration. In other words, the second level
of enumeration (with or without a caption) is internal to, or dependent
upon, the year designation. Many government documents use this type of
numbering designation -- I tried to find a specific example to cite, but
of course was unable to think of one.

In the CONSER Editing Guide, p. 2 of the section on the 362 field (near
the bottom of the page), there is an example of this type of numbering:

362 0# 72/1 (Feb 1972)-

This example happens to have a chronological parallel, but this is often
not the case. [This example also represents serial numbering during that
wild and crazy, pre-Y2K bug period when publishers were often quite
happy to refer to year designations with only two digits!)

Such numbering then proceeds based on the journal's frequency (72/2,
72/3, 72/4, etc.) and rolls over with the calendar year (so 72/5, 72/6,
73/1, 73/2, etc. for a bimonthly).

Citations to journals bearing such numbering require all levels of
numbering because the numbering at the second level of enumeration
repeats. So if a user simply went looking for no. 3, they would have no
idea which no. 3 to retrieve (i.e., was that the no. 3 from 1972 or
1973? Or 1983, etc.?)

I hope this is helpful.
everett

Everett Allgood