 From: "Mike Rylander" <[log in to unmask]>

> title -> mods:mods/mods:titleInfo (also separated by title types)

So 'title' maps to the entire titleInfo element, and then there is another
index, say:
'title-abbreviated' that maps to titleInfo where type="abbreviated"   and so
on?
How many of these do you actually support? (That's really the most useful
information in this effort, as we are trying to come up with a realistic set
of indexes that seem to be supported/supportable.)

> author ->
mods:mods/mods:name[mods:role/mods:text[text()="creator"]/namePart
> (separated by name type)

An index 'author', which maps to namePart when role = "creator". (By the way
I assume you are assuming role terms from
http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/relator/relatorlist.html , which also has
'author', in addition to 'creator' but no need for that bag-of-worms
discussion right now.)

But what do you mean by "separated by name type"? Does this mean there are,
in addition, indexes for
 author - personal name
author - corporate
author - conference
and that 'author' (alone) would combine them all?

> subject -> mods:mods/mods:subject/* (separated by node name
> (geographic, name, temporal, topic))
And similarly could you list the specific subject search points you support?

> series -> mods:mods/mods:relatedItem[@type="series"]/mods:titleInfo

Sounds good.

> keyword -> mods:mods/*[not(local-name()='originInfo')] (everything
> except originInfo and subnodes)

keyword maps to anything in the record excluding information under
originInfo? I'm afraid I don't understand this one.  Could you elaborate?

Thanks, Mike.

--Ray