***DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE*** John Byrum has been temporarily
unsubscribed from the PCC list so he will not receive this message.  Any
reply to the list will spoil the surprise.  Any leaks to the media of the
contents contained herein will occasion the appointment of a special PCC
Prosecutor.  :-)

Greetings PCC Community:

As many of you may have heard, John Byrum, will be retiring from his
position as Chief, Regional and Cooperative Cataloging Division at the
Library of Congress.  ALA Midwinter in San Antonio will mark the final time
that John will attend the conference in his official capacity as PCC
Secretariat.  John has been a guiding light in the world of cooperative
cataloging, working in both international and national groups to develop
cataloging standards.  His leadership within the PCC has been profound and
his departure will be deeply felt.

To celebrate John's accomplishments and to express our collective gratitude
for his hard work, it is my privilege to invite each and every PCC member to
the Participants' Meeting at Midwinter--Sunday, January 22, 2006, 4:00 p.m.
to 6:00 p.m. in the Gonzales Convention Center, 217B--and to a reception in
John's honor to be held immediately following the meeting from 6:00 p.m. to
7:00 p.m.  I would also like to invite each of you to make a contribution
towards a gift of thanks.  I have it on good authority that John is a
connoisseur of fine wine, so my plan is to take your contributions and work
with a local wine shop to select a case of Oregon's best (I realize that
some of the rest of you also live in wine country, but we do grow some fine
stuff out here).  Your name will be added to a list of well-wishers in the
card that will accompany the wine.  If you would like to participate, please
send your contribution to me at the address below.

Your best efforts to keep the details of the gift a surprise are most
appreciated.  I hope to see you all in San Antonio!

Mark R. Watson, PCC Chair, 2005/06
Associate University Librarian for Collections & Access
UO Libraries
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, Or.  97403-1299
(541) 346-1896