At 03:49 AM 1/25/2006, you wrote:
>John,
>
>Could you please summarize any responses you receive for the list?  In
>addition to the standards you mention, I also wonder about ISAD-G and
>other international OAI compliant standards.

Anna, excellent point!

EAD Tag Library version 2002 addresses ISAD-G to EAD and MARC21 to
EAD crosswalks http://www.loc.gov/ead/tglib/appendix_a.html but does
not address Dublin Core to EAD crosswalk which existed in EAD
Application Guidelines for Version 1.0 http://www.loc.gov/ead/ag/agappb.html.

Anna, what is your organization's current publishing model for
creating encoded inventories, does your electronic encoded
inventories address union catalog compliancy, and what tools are you
using to create your electronic EADs (i.e. NoteTab Light, XML Spy,
oXygen, XML Writer, Apache FOP, etc.)?

>Thanks,
>
>Anna
>

>Anna M. Schein, University Librarian and
>Associate Curator, West Virginia and Regional History Collection
>West Virginia University Libraries
>P.O. Box 6069
>Morgantown, West Virginia  26506-6069
>Tele: (304) 293-4040 x 4065
>Fax:   (304) 293-6638

>I am seeking opinions in the matter of relatedencoding preferences. I'm
>
>interested in hearing justifications for mapping to either Dublin Core
>or
>MARC (or mixed practices using both). I understand the potential for
>using
>mapping to MARC for the creation of catalog records. What do people see
>as
>the purposes of mapping to Dublin Core? Do you consider it more
>far-reaching in its potential for future harvesting? If so, how?
>
>The EAD Cookbook recommends setting mapping to MARC21 in <ead> but the
>RLG
>guidelines seems to suggest that Dublin Core be used for <eadheader>
>and
>MARC for <archdesc>.
>
>John Bewley
>Music Library
>University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
>716 645-2924 Ext. 1446

Plato L. Smith II, Digital Initiatives Librarian
Florida State University Libraries
850-644-3053 Office